What is a Slide Layout?
In PowerPoint, a slide layout arranges all elements like title, subtitle text, lists, pictures, tables, charts, AutoShapes, sounds, and movie clips within a slide. Slide layouts are related to placeholders, which refer to the containers in layouts that hold such content as text (including body text, bulleted lists, and titles), tables, charts, SmartArt graphics, movies, sounds, pictures, and clip art.
PowerPoint 2007 and earlier have a set of built-in slide layouts, also called standard layouts that you can use for your presentation. See the sample below:
How Do You Make a Custom Slide Layout in PowerPoint?
If you are not satisfied with a built-in slide layout, you can make a new custom one that matches your slide content. It’s a piece of cake. In the Slide Master view, locate the ‘Blank Layout’ in the thumbnail list of layouts. You can customize that layout by adding text-specific and object-specific placeholders like Content, Text, Pictures, Charts, Tables, Diagrams, SmartArt graphics, Media, Clip Art, Movies and Sounds.
To make a custom slide layout for your PowerPoint 2007 presentation, do the following:
1. Click the View tab -> Presentation Views -> Slide Master to enable the slide master tab.
2. Go to the Slide Master tab, in the Edit Master group, click Insert Layout. You can see a new layout appear in the left pane.
3. To make changes on the layout, do one of the following:
a. Under the Slide Master tab, in the Master Layout group, click Insert Placeholder and choose one placeholder type from the dropdown list.
b. Click a blank on the layout, and drag to draw the placeholder.
c. To resize the placeholder, drag one of its border.
d. Repeat the steps above to add in more placeholders to the new layout.
e. Done. In the thumbnail list, select the layout, in Edit Master, click Rename to type a new name for the slide layout.
4. Go back to the Office button, and click Save As.
5. In the Save As dialog, rename the presentation file or leave it be default. In the Save as type list, select to save it as a PowerPoint template (.potx or .potm).
- How to Change Placeholders in PowerPoint 2003
- How to create a PowerPoint 2007 template
- How to Adjust Slide Transitions in PowerPoint 2007
- Make a Quiz with MS PowerPoint? Fun and Easy!
- How to Insert Outline Text from Word to PowerPoint 2007
All posts on this blog are created for non-profit sharing by the blogger staff of Moyea Software. You can reprint them without any fee, but are required to quote each source link on Moyea PowerPoint E-Learning Center (http://www.dvd-ppt-slideshow.com/blog/) and keep all original hyperlinks within.